Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Trace exercise part 1

I have decided that in order to keep my vector skills up to par, I should begin tracing previous works in order to discover new techniques and forms. This process also informs me on all sorts of goodies that are intrinsic to graphic design. I am not alone in this exercise as I have picked it up from Aegir over at the much envied Ministry of Type.

this example took an extra long time because each character is unique from its hand-done origins

This example is traced from a set of Notgeld. Instead of stumbling over a misunderstood explanation of this currency, here is the Wikipedia blockquote used by the Ministry.

Notgeld (German for “Emergency Money” or “necessity money”) was special money issued primarily in Germany and Austria to deal with economic crisis situations such as a shortage of small change or hyperinflation. It was not issued by the central bank (Reichsbank) but by various other institutions, e.g. town savings banks, municipalities, private and state-owned firms. It was therefore not legal tender, but rather a mutually-accepted means of payment in a particular locale or site.
Wikipedia


I will definitely continue this exercise and hopefully I might actually find my own samples instead of relying on the expert eye of the Ministry. You can find the final version of the trace here.

No comments: